What is our goal? To increase Parkinson's research spending and cure
Parkinson's or  is it to correct our system of funding research and
embarrass Sen. Specter.  Mine is and will be the former.  I and many others
have spent considerable time and effort hoping to have Sen. Specter champion
our cause.  I believe that Sen. Specter is now a champion of NIH funding and
of Parkinson's disease research funding.

I suggest that instead of using are limited time and energy trying to fix
the system whereby research funding is prioritized we write and thank Sen.
Specter for his support and continued support.  We've spent years working
within the current system and I think we are beginning to see increase
dollars going to Parkinson's disease research.  I plan to spend my energies
working with researchers to identify the best researchers and research that
these hard-won dollars can be spent on as Joan Samuelson identifed at the
hearing.

What thrilled me about the hearing, wasn't the testimony of Michael J. Fox,
Dr. Langston, Joan Samuelson or even Jim Cordy.  It was Dr. Fischbach in his
official capacity stating that he feels the cure is within our grasp,  that
there are 11 Parkinson's centers approved, that there will be 200 new people
working on Parkinson's disease research next year.  And maybe even more
importantly, that Sen. Specter, chairman of the powerful appropriations
subcommittee was nodding his head in agreement and supporting/championing
increased Parkinson's disease research.

It matters not to me if Sen. Specter is a Republican or Democrat, liberal or
conservative, smiles at pretty women, has hearing because Michael J. Fox
testifies.  What matters to me is that Sen. Specter supports Parkinson's
research.  The last thing I want to see happen is Sen. Specter associate
being embarrassed on 20/20 with Parkinson's disease funding.

I suggest all those who responded to requests to call Sen. Specter's office,
take time to write and thank him for his continued support.  I'm tired of
battling the system, of pounding the halls of Congress seeking their
support.  Let someone else fix the system, after we cure Parkinson's.   My
worst fear is that Parkinson's research get stuck with some massive
revamping of federal bureaucracy.