Phil wrote:
Janie needs to get that information from the personnel department
where he works.  Usually a disability benefit plan provides for
regular payments to compensate (in part) for lost salary thru age
65. So if there is a choice, assuming retirement can begin at age 60
or at some time before reaching age 65, then one question would be
how these payments compare.  Also, what is the health insurance
coverage in each case?  It sounds like he may also qualify for
Social Security disability benefits.
--------
Thank you, Phil, for your input.  I would think that Jamie would qualify for
SSI, but I understand that the process is arduous.  Our neuro even
discouraged us from trying ("they'll say that he could answer the phone for
some company or write out envelopes").  Considering that my husband's
speaking ability has deteriorated to the point where he is very difficult to
understand, and that he has trouble writing his own name I'm at a loss to
understand how SSI would be out of reach.  We'll let you know what happens.
-----
God bless
Mary Ann