Hello everyone:

I am back for more advise.

Recap: My brother Sherman (73/8) is in a care facility, indigent, and
has some dementia. He is a sober alcoholic. He still wants to drink. I
believe he is in Stage 3+ or 4 of PD, unable to care for himself. He has
only social security for an income.  In the facility he is entitled to
Medicaid, so all of his medical needs are taken care of.  If he leaves
he will not be eligible for Medicaid.  My sister and I try to provide
the personal necessities.

He is very unhappy in the facility and wants to leave. However, he has
no where to go and no money to go on.  (My sister are both unable to
take him in, and he really is at the stage even a loving wife would not
be able to care for him).

My sister and I have worked very hard at getting him to stay, at least
one more month, about three times now.  He is not thinking rationally.
He thinks because he feels 30 in his head, (don't we all), he doesn't
understand why he shouldn't leave the facility.

Now for what I did to him.  I have tried to explain PD to him.  But my
sister and I both have tried to smooth over PD so as not to worry or
upset him.  So in order for him to accept that he must stay I gave him a
printout of PD and all its stages and prognosis.  I just felt he had to
get in touch with the reality of his situation.  If he leaves he will
fall in the gutter and not get up.  I don't want that for my brother.
So, I tried the tough love approach.

I read the list every day and know all of you have faced what your
future is.  Shouldn't Sherman know what is happening to him.  Or should
we just let him go? Was it wrong of me to lay the terrible future out in
front of him?

What should we do to help our Brother?

Chris