Chris,

My father passed away two years ago from PD.  We went through the same thing
with him that you and your familiy are facing now.  It would break my heart
when he would ask me "Just how long does this parkinsons last?"  I tried to
sugar coat it and avoid all the details, but he really knew in his heart that
PD wasn't something from which you could recover.  Finally I just told him
the facts one day, my mom couldn't care for him anymore and he needed to go
somewhere he could get the care he needed.  At first he was depressed "So
this is it..." he would always say and I would be upset because I felt I
never should of told him.  Finally he learned to accept his condition.  Now
my mom lives in an assisted care facility, she has PD.  She doesn't seem to
remember how difficult it was with dad and she is being a pill now too.  She
hates the food, she hates the people (all they do is complain!), she hates
everything about the place.  The only thing we can do is visit often
(everyday if possible) so she doesn't think we have forgotten her.  It is
important to take her out of there as much as possible for a visit.  We like
to plan trips so she has something to look forward to and shop for etc.  Even
a daily phone call will help cheer your brother up, if he can still use the
phone.  Don't worry you are doing the right thing, you can't do everything
for your brother and shouldn't feel guilty.  I just hope I can remember these
lessons and not be a burden on my family by not accepting my inability to
care for myself...you see I also have PD and face the same future.

Good luck convincing your brother,

Sherry