***************
Author:  ahalo2 (Read all messages by this author)
Author status: Preferred | Neutral | Ignored
Thread Only: (6 messages)
Thread Messages: FirstPrev | Next

Re: Funding For Diseases  8:55AM PDT, Oct 14, 1999

momanator:

I don't know a single person with HIV who voluntarily asked to be infected.
Parkinson's and diabetes is genetic... so, um, if someone infected with these
illnesses CHOOSE to have children, would that somehow make their children
less "innocent" if they were to come down with the disease later? Having
children is usually a VOLUNTARY act, isn't it?

I don't disagree that some diseases are extremely underfunded, but I STRONGLY
disagree with encouraging Congress to take away funding from one disease to
make people with the lesser-funded diseases feel better. AIDS activists made
the fight for funding political because they HAD to. AIDS wasn't mentioned by
our President until 1985, and the first drug wasn't available to patients
until 8 years after the disease was first discovered. *Eight years* for ONE
treatment. And in those eight years HIV became an epidemic.

It is ONLY since the research that AIDS deaths have slowed. That's gotta tell
people something. I would think. If the political approach works for people
who are desperately ill then more power to them. If a cause can find a
celebrity to help, more power to them. We should be following the example of
activists who find EFFECTIVE ways to get funding, not put them down for it or
saying that the funds are somehow "undeserved" because of how the cause got
Congress' attention or because the disease is a "voluntary" one.

Six years ago 20/20 did a report on a nine year old girl with AIDS that aired
three times... they talked about how NIH and the clinical trials had saved
that girl's life. Now, they are "exposing" these same programs? After years
of themselves focusing on AIDS and the treatments, they now turn around and
blast the methods people have used to get funding? It makes no sense, to
support an issue then once it looks like the trials are actually saving lives
to turn around and push to have the funding taken away. As if the media,
20/20, whoever hasn't known all along that this is how AIDS activists finally
got their effective treatments. It shows how very easily manipulated the
public is, "pc", whatever. People though seem to forget there are actual
lives at stake.

I don't care what my sister's biological parents did to "deserve" HIV, this
child is alive because of these treatments and I'm thankful for that. And I
hate to see that people feel her life should come down to the mistakes of her
parents, and that some people feel other "deserve" to be sick or die because
of what their parents did.

Sarah