Advocacy Works!

Parkinson’s disease has taken another step toward securing the research
funding that will deliver the cure - and advocates from across the nation
played a crucial part.

The report accompanying fiscal year 2000 Labor-Health & Human
Services-Education (Labor/HHS)Appropriation bill passed by the Senate
Thursday evening contains the strongest language yet approved for
Parkinson’s research.  Senators Thad Cochran (R-MS), Paul Wellstone (D-MN),
Tom Harkin (D-IA) and Arlen Specter (R-PA) joined in a colloquy (an official
conversation included in the bill report) verifying that the overall budget
increase for NIH is sufficient to fund $75 million in additional Parkinson’s
research.  (Text of the colloquy below.)  While it doesn’t carry the force
of law, the colloquy states Congressional intent and provides clear
direction to the NIH.

The final version of the colloquy is the result of intense negotiations, and
would not be as strong as it is were it not for the publicity and awareness
raised about Parkinson’s and the research promise.  Even more important was
the flood of calls, faxes and emails which poured into the office of Senator
Arlen Specter, the Chairman of the Labor/HHS Appropriations Subcommittee.
All of that positive pressure convinced Senator Specter to agree to a much
stronger version of the colloquy - more supportive of Parkinson’s - than he
originally offered.

The tremendous energy and determination of the Parkinson’s advocacy
community was instrumental in achieving a big legislative victory - one sure
to translate into greater research funding in the fiscal year 2000 budget.

Three cheers to all of you for your efforts!!

Michael Claeys
Policy Coordinator
Parkinson’s Action Network
(800) 850-4726

*********
THE COLLOQUY:
*********

PARKINSON'S RESEARCH

Mr. COCHRAN. Mr. President, I want to thank the Chairman for his strong
leadership and support for the medical research in our nation. I strongly
support his efforts to double funding for the National Institutes of Health,
and I am heartened by the increases in this bill. I also want to thank him
for his leadership in increasing funding for Parkinson's research and
holding the September 28, 1999, hearing on the promise of Parkinson's
research and the need for increased funding. Michael J. Fox put it best when
he said that `this is a winnable war' as long as the funding is there to
match the scientific promise.

Mr. SPECTER. Mr. President, that's right. Dr. Fischbach testified that he
sincerely believes that we are close to solving Parkinson's . The scientific
research community believes that it is realistic to think that we will
conquer Parkinson's in 5 to 10 years. Dr. William Langston, President of the
Parkinson's Institute told the Subcommittee at the hearing that we have an
historic opportunity with Parkinson's because the research is at a point
where a focused, adequately funded effort will produce a cure. He also
testified that once we understand and unravel Parkinson's , we will have
answers to many other neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's and Lou
Gehrig's disease .

Mr. WELLSTONE. Mr. President, the Parkinson's hearing was great news for all
those who suffer from this disease . The advocacy community was
well-represented by actor Michael J. Fox, Joan Samuelson--President of the
Parkinson's Action Network, and Jim Cordy--a Parkinson's advocate from
Pennsylvania. Their personal stories underscore the need for Congress to
ensure that there is increased funding for Parkinson's research. Parkinson's
is the most curable neurological disorder and the one most likely to produce
a breakthrough. Congress passed the Morris K. Udall Research Act, making
clear that Parkinson's should receive the funding it needs to eradicate this
truly dreadful disease . Now it is time to fulfill that promise.

Mr. COCHRAN. Mr. President, I agree. At the hearing, we were asked to
increase funding for Parkinson's research $75 million over current funding
levels by increasing funding levels at two institutes, the National
Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) and the National
Institute of Environmental Health Sciences (NIEHS), at $50 million and $25
million respectively. The research community thinks that this will provide
enough funding to quicken seriously the pace of research on Parkinson's --a
down payment, if you will--on a fully funded Parkinson's research agenda
that scientific experts in the community conservatively estimate to be over
$200 million. I believe NIH should be able to do this from the funds
provided in our bill.

Mr. SPECTER. Mr. President, as I said at the hearing, I think the scientific
community can find a cure in even less time, as few as 2 to 4 years, if they
have the resources. With the overall $2 billion increase in NIH funding
provided in this bill, those institutes will have sufficient funds to
provide the increases to Parkinson's focused research.

Mr. HARKIN. As Ranking Member of the Subcommittee I want to express my
strong support for substantially increasing NIH support for Parkinson's
research. We have a tremendous opportunity for real break through in the
fight against this horrible disease and we cannot pass that up.