Hi.  This is my first communication as a new member of this list or any internet exchange.  I am 47 years old and was diagnosed with Parkinson's about one year ago, after two years of uncertain diagnoses of multiple sclerosis and primary lateral sclerosis.  I have no tremor, and the symptoms of Parkinson's--muscle rigidity, balance problems, slow movement, etc.--currently affect the left side of my body more than the right.

I presently use Sinemet 25/100 five times daily in combination (within the last few months) with 1 gram Mirapex three times daily.  I'm not yet sure what effect, if any, the Mirapex provides, although the effect of the Sinemet is certainly dramatic.  Unfortunately, I have developed "variable response" syndrome with respect to the Sinemet.  My current physician, a neurologist whose subspecialty is Parkinson's) tells me that it would have been preferable not to have begun my treatment with Sinemet because of the possibility of developing this very syndrome--hence the experiment with Mirapex.  (The Sinemet was originally prescribed by my current doctor's colleague, a well-respected neurologist whose subspecialty is multiple sclerosis.)

I am a lawyer whose focus is civil litigation.  In order to function during the day, I find that I need to use the Sinemet at no less than 3.5 hour intervals, which means significantly less function at night.   I also find that I need to rest for about 30 minutes before each dose of Sinemet, which can be problematic.   All of this makes professional life difficult.  It is also a nuisance at home, where evenings are usually devoted to activities with my husband.

Any thoughts for a newcomer about managing what must be a familiar scenario to most of you?  Sorry for the long initial message and thanks in advance for your time.

Rhonda