There has been raised the distinction between treating the symptoms of Parkinson's and the disease itself. Those of us who are PWPs would probably be willing to settle for this cure as limited as it may be.  But this raises the question of priorities as applied to medical research and appears to me to be a legitimate topic for discussion.

The medical community insofar as I have been involved with it is quite optimistic about the timeframe in which a "cure" will be found, giving credence to the optimism that sometimes appears on this list.  On the other hand, that optimism should not be used as an excuse for personal attacks by listmembers that have a more cautious view..