    Dennis,

Welcome to the DBS Club.  The surgery is really not that bad and the results can be miraculous.  The problem is that you forget how  bad you were and then wind up frustrated at the symptoms you have left..  Also the adjustments are difficult.  and it takes a while to get them working right.

On the issue of undue optimism I It certainly is not undue optimism to think that a cure is 5 to 10 years off  I think that may be a little optimistic but with the DBS buying time it should not be a significant problem for most of us to wait.  The question also is what is a cure?   Is it the replacement or re-growth of damaged cells as is the case with growth factors and stem cell research or is it something more and different.   We aren't being unduly optimistic if we are talking about the fruits of these treatments and this technology but if it takes developing a whole new technology it will take longer.  In any case denial is a useful mechanism for those of us with chronic and progressive diseases and if we are deluding ourselves or being too optimistic I would rather have the hope than not as long as it is based on reality

Charlie.