Hi,
I am not picking on Murray's choice of breakfast food
but his reference to Corn Flakes and farmers offers me
an opportunity for a little consumer education.

Yesterday morning the local price of corn picked up on
our farm was $1.56 per bushel (U.S.).  That coverts to
$.0017 per ounce ( less than 1/5th of a cent).  A bushel
of corn weighs 56 pounds.  Since we are in the middle of
harvest the price is dropping nearly every day (supply
and demand).

The price of a 24 ounce box of Kellogg's Corn Flakes in
the local store is $3.39   ---- or just a little over
$.14 (14 cents) per ounce.

Therefore-----the farmer receives about $.04 (4 cents)
for the corn in a 24 oz. box of corn flakes that sells
for $3.39.  That is about 1.2% of the retail price.

Out of that 1.2% the farmer has to pay for:
Seed
Fertilizer
Weed and pest control
Fuel
Insurance
Repairs to equipment
Make payments on the mortgage or pay rental to the land
owner.
Taxes
Purchase equipment to replace worn out machinery.

AND --- have enough left to buy clothes, groceries,
family transportation, pay for children's education, pay
for health insurance and medical bills, and all other
normal living expenses.

I knew there was a reason my checkbook runs a little low
at times.

Paul

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
613 256 8340 po box 171 almonte ontario canada K0A 1A0
a new voice: <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>