Dear List-family...

Having been born and raised in Los Angeles, and have lived for the
past 18 years about 2 miles from the epicenter of the Jan. 17,
1994, Northridge Quake.

When our most recent tumbler hit about 2:00 a.m yesterday., I
grabbed up the packed-for-an-emergency tote bag which has sat next
to my bed, removed the flashlight from it (it gets new batteries
every 3 months, no matter what!), stepped into the heavy boots
that have sat under my bedside table since the Northridge Quake,
and headed downstairs with my only thought being to get outta the
pitching, groaning building.

Unfortunately, about half-way downstairs, I realized I was stark
necked <blush> so had to run back upstairs to my bedroom to get
into the sweats that have resided at my bedside since the '94
quake.

By then I was SO exhausted from  running downstairs then upstairs
again, since the building had apparently stopped shaking, I just
said "To hell with it all, and stayed upstairs, and called my 2
daughters to make sure they we ok.

They were, and so was I... OK. that is.

By the way, a 7.0 quake, such as yesterday's, when compared to the
horrific slamming and twisting (simultaneously) we took from the
Northridge quake was like comparing a frisky spring breeze to a
level 5 hurricane!

The Northridge Quake will always be listed as one of the historic
big quakes, but yesterday's quake'll soon be a mere footnote in
the records books.

Barb Mallut

WOWIE!  For the first time in my life I was more or less PREPARED
when the quake hit.