At 12:45 1999/10/19 -0400, jane and i wrote:
>>the duplicate messages are likely caused by your isp
>>thinking that a mail download to you had not been completed properly
>>and so re-sent the mail on the next download to you
>>i think 'hope' that the duplications are an isp issue
>>and not a LISTSERV issue
>>janette
>>elffette
>>nerdette
>Actually, I got a whole pile of duplicates last night, also.  I
>figured it was my ISP until others on the list experienced the
>same problem.  So, just an FYI in case the nerdette wants to
>render some elf magic on the server :-). Jane K.

hi jane

i'll re-phrase my above statement to:

the duplicate messages are likely caused by a server
somewhere en route from the listserv to your computer

e-mail is handled in batches
and the routing can be labyrinthine [?]
and if one of the servers en route gets indigestion
it might get the burps
[sorta like me on sinemet cr]

i don't intend to sound like i'm defending LISTSERV
[i didn't invent it, i just try to understand it]
but for some reason i have never received the duplicate messages
that so many of you have

thinking back to hurricane whatzizname,
it seemed that a lot of internet e-mail routing was disrupted
by the mess in north carolina,
while nothing at all disrupted my own listserv mail
which is bound [i hope] to be routed fairly simply
from toronto ontario to almonte ontario

jaNET of pieNET

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
613 256 8340 po box 171 almonte ontario canada K0A 1A0
a new voice: <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>