Joe Thome wrote:

> Does anyone have any recomendations for or against the use of generic
> drugs as opposed to brand name drugs?
>
> I thank you in advance for your comments.
>
> Joe cg for Ruth 67/9

In most cases, generic drugs are just as good as (and less expensive
than) branded drugs.  There are some exceptions.

Among these are Dilantin (Parke-Davis' brand of Phenytoin) and some
other anticonvulsants.  Some of the difference has to do with the
packaging (capsules, tablets, bottles).  With these (few) drugs, I will
usually insist on the trade name.

I am not sure of any differences with the typical Parkinson drugs since
many of them are still on patent and do not have generic equivalents.
Perhaps others may know more.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"