I have a TENS unit and they work fine. It requires a prescription and  you
should consult with your physician. Who determined the pain was due to muscle
spasm?  I remember something about those units confusing the nerves which
transmit the pain to your brain. ( Who knows - Not me ) I do know that mine
works very well and the rhythmic "buzzing" feeling almost puts me to sleep
unless I am moving about. In fact , there are times when I need it to be able to
move about. The main thing is who said it was muscle spasm and it needs a
doctors prescription. If  you are on Medicare it will pay a great deal, it and
my medigap policy ( not an HMO ) paid for all but a few dollars. Good luck, Nita