FROM:    [log in to unmask]
Hi, my name is Judith Ashford and I am the President of the Parkinson's Society of the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia Telephone:   (07) 55 937928.  I would like to introduce our Society to all on this listserv.  We have approximately 100 members and conduct Support Group Meetings once every month on the SECOND WEDNESDAY OF THE MONTH 1PM TO 3PM. We have very informative Speakers and a lot of empathy and understanding is shown to all our Members.  We also have Exercise/Therapy mornings each Thursday 9.30 to 11.30 and this is a very important aspect of our Society to keep the body and the mind active.
I have on one occasion placed a message on this listserv but failed to advise our email address.
There is considerable mail on this listserv and I have found it all very interesting and informative as WeI copy most of it and it is distributed to our Members at Meetings so we can be up to date on what is happening overseas.
I would firstly like to ask any other Parkinson's out there on the Gold Coast to communicate with us if they have a need or would like to talk to any of us. Address - 140 Bundall Road, Bundall 4217. Telephone No. 55 937928.   We are all volunteers and the telephone number is connected to my home so you can ring any time  Secondly, I would like to ask a few questions please:
My husband was diagnosed aged 40.  He is now 57 and running into a lot of trouble.  He was prescribed Comtan - Entacapone 200 mg. 1x3 per day, cost $200.00 per 100 tabs.  He was on his third bottle and I might add had improved dramatically when he experienced stomach discomfort followed by rather drastic diarrhoea.  It was ascertained that this was caused by the Entacapone and this medication has been ceased and he is right back where he started, worse in fact.
Has anyone any information on this?   If so, please could you let me have same.   Also any news on other like medication.  We know that Tolcapone caused Liver problems but are there are others being tested at present that could be considered as it is becoming obvious that his condition is going down hill.
We would be very interested to hear from anyone not only on the Gold Coast but elsewhere as we feel we have a great deal to learn from this service and would also like to be of assistance, if necessary, to sufferers on the Gold Coast.
Weather overcast today but as they say "beautiful one day, perfect the next".   I am sure when John returns home from his Australian trip he will agree with this.   H travelled with Elizabeth and Alan Butler all around the outback etc. and it would appear a good time was had by all.
Thanks for all the messages and I look forward to hearing more.
Judith Ashford