hi all

i've been mulling about ivan's situation too
maybe because it's potentially close to my own

ivan, you live alone with pd
so do i, at the moment

you need in-house personal care attendants / attendance
i don't, at the moment

you have been designated a disabled site
by the Powers That Be
so have i

you are entitled to government financial assistance
due to impoverishment
so am i

what are our living accommodation alternatives?
'hospital' sounds extreme and a waste of resources
'nursing home' sounds the same
'chronic care ward' ditto

you and i would be trouble on four feet in such places
managers of such places within a 100km radius of us
should be quaking in their boots
at the mere thought!

what about something like 'assisted living'
where help is optional

if i,
as a Designated Disabled and Dollar Disadvantaged Site,
am entitled to grab bars in my bathroom installed at no charge
by the Authority of the Powers That Be
why would i not be entitled to
home care assistance
[be it washing my hair or my floor]
or
a motorised wheelchair
or
a vacuum cleaner
or
dental care
or
education assistance
or
a replacement bio-engineered arm
or
.......[fill in the blank]
under the same terms?

if such an item promoted my ability to live independently
and thus more productively
as well as
[hellloooooo!]
at a lower cost to the PTB?

[not that cost/benefit ratios as applied to healthcare
don't still make my skin crawl]

i'd best stop all this mulling now
before i get into real trouble

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
613 256 8340 po box 171 almonte ontario canada K0A 1A0
a new voice: <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>