Paul,
A small lesion is made in the STN, especially when 5 electrodes at the same
time are inserted onto this region.  We insert only one electrode, because
we believe that only one or maximum two trajectories are necessary to find
the target.  During surgery without stim. there is indeed some improvement,
but when switching on the stimulator during surgery immediately causes a
even better response.  After several weeks the small lesions do not cause
improvement anymore, because the plasticity of the brain makes the
(dys)function of STN reaches levels as seen before surgery.  Edema may
develop after insertion of five electrodes, but I don't know for sure,
because I don't have experience with the use of five electrodes in the STN.

I hope this info is enough to answer your question.

Chris-