     I really appreciated Dennis Greene's fine poem, and can't help but
feel there are many other good poets out there with Parkinson's. I'm new
on the list. Still have a strong interest in Parkinson's as I was a
caretaker for my wife, Margaret, who was diagnosed with PD at age 69 in
1993. Her PD developed so rapidly that she could not feed herself or
walk unassisted in the year before she died in December, 1997.
     Margaret had written poetry all her life, and her poems had been
praised by such outstanding writers as Robert Penn Warren, Marianne
Moore, and Dorothy Day. Even after her PD became severe, she never
stopped writing, and even managed to turn out two poems in painfully
scrawled, tiny handwriting about Parkinson's in the year before her
death. I know writing poetry sustained her, and helped her maintain her
astonishing grace and courage. I was moved when Maryland poets published
a memorial book about her called "Margaret: A Life That Was Poetry,"
which contains many of her best poems, as well as poems about her. If
you would like more info about this book and her poetry, please send me
an E-mail at [log in to unmask]
     I'd encourage anyone with PD who likes to write poetry to keep at
it -- it will not only help sustain your own spirits, but also bring joy
to others.
     Below are two poems by Margaret. The first is pre-Parkinson's; the
second written months before her death.

        Lost Boy

        Acadia Park, August,
        Mt. Cadillac, Maine.