Are there pictures of the pumpkin "boats" available
anywhere on the web?  I would love to see what they look
like!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: bob johnson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, October 24, 1999 6:37 PM
Subject: NEWS: Pumpkins for Parkinson's

Thought listserv members might enjoy reading about this
clever fund
raising effort by Dr. Steve DeFossez reported in today's
Boston Globe.

bob johnson
Holbrook, MA

Pumpkin boat race for charity

By Caroline Louise Cole, Boston Globe Correspondent,
10/24/99

OXFORD, MA- Ever wondered what happens to those massive,
prize-winning pumpkins after the fall fair season winds
down? While
most end up as giant jack-o'-lanterns or dozens of
pumpkin pies, at
least some of them head for open water.

Consider the 798-pound winner of last month's Eastern
States
Exposition in Springfield. Yesterday, it was hollowed
out and fitted
with a 3.3-horsepower outboard motor in an attempt to
set the New
England pumpkin speed record during the Giant Pumpkin
Regatta on
Stiles Pond.

Puttering along at 3 miles per hour, with captain Alan
Reynolds of
Durham, Conn., at the helm, the giant gourd lost to a
lesser squash, a
630-pounder from Weare, N.H.

The charity event, which raised more than $2,000 for
Parkinson's
disease research, was the brainchild of Steve Defossez,
a local
competitive pumpkin grower who was looking for a fun way
to help his
father, Raymond, and others disabled by the degenerative
disease.

No one was more surprised than Defossez that the three
vegetable boats
in the regatta not only stayed afloat but remained
seaworthy long
enough to give rides to several adults and youngsters
who crowded the
beach to watch the event.

''Until I settled into the hull, I was prepared to take
a cold bath,''
Defossez said about the pond's 50-degree water. ''I was
sure my foot
was going to go right through the bottom.''

Wayne Hackney of New Milford, Conn., another grower of
giant pumpkins,
is the first person credited with turning a giant
pumpkin into a
personal watercraft, according to Hugh Wiberg, founder
of the All New
England Giant Pumpkin Contest held annually at the
Topsfield Fair.

''When I first heard what he was intending to do three
years ago, I
thought he was crazy, but, by God, the pumpkin not only
didn't sink
right off, it floated long enough for him to get quite a
ride out of
it,'' said Wiberg, of Wilmington. ''People do a lot of
good with giant
pumpkins after the contest, but it is generally along
the lines of a
giant jack-o'-lantern for a nursing home or for pumpkin
pies for an
entire hospital.''

After the gourds were hollowed out, the boaters bolted
on a plywood
deck to provide some stability and a place to secure
their engines.

The third boat in yesterday's event was a 400-pounder
donated by Fran
Dalton of Newburyport. Defossez's son, Christopher, 9,
rode it in the
initial races until other parents were confident enough
to allow their
children a try.

''We're Coast Guard rated,'' said Defossez, holding up
his life
jacket. ''Our only deficiency is the lack of a boat
registration. I
didn't apply because I didn't think the state would know
how to
classify a vegetable.''

Donations can be sent to Pumpkins for Parkinson's,
Beverly Hospital,
85 Herrick Road, Beverly, MA 01915.

This story ran on page B04 of the Boston Globe on
10/24/99.
&copy Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company