Everytime a pwp writes a letter to the editor, or asks a clerk in a store,
"Could you fill out this check for me, I have Parkinson's Disease and at
this moment my muscles are rigid/tremoring and I'm not able to write
clearly.", or comments at work or when in social settings, "Did you see
Michael J. Fox, Lynda McKenzie, Jim Finn et al on the television last week
talking about funding for FY2000 to support Parkinson's research, or
speaking about the experimental surgery to allow her/him to regain use of
muscles that had been keeping her/him immobile due to Parkinson's disease?"
 the awareness level of someone is being raised.  Hopefully, that person
will comment to peers and family and the awareness will continue to grow.

When I pay for groceries, I don't conceal my Medical Alert card that states
that" I'm not drunk....I have Parkinson's disease", especially if it's a
day/time when I'm having difficulty getting either cash, change or even
getting my fingers to slide the plastic credit card from the plastic sleeve
of my wallet.  I want those waiting and watching my struggle to be aware
that it's Parkinson's symptoms that slow me down and I hope that awareness
might expand that person's knowledge about a disease that shows no
favorites and can strike anyone of any age, race or sex in any country of
the world.

I wear my T-Shirt that asks, "Do you know someone that has Parkinson's?" on
the back to walk the inside track at the community center.  When the shirt,
a letter I've written to the editor, or my struggling to pay at the retail
counter causes someone to ask a question or ask how I'm feeling or if I
need help.....I try to respond positively but in a way that teaches the
person asking the question that having Parkinson's isn't fun and those with
the disease are trying to advocate for research funding increases to
hopefully find both a cure and a cause that may allow prevention of
Parkinson's disease in the future.

Friends, family and members of church and organizations or groups I or my
husband are part of are often asked by me to sign petitions, write or call
congress asking for increased funding for focused Parkinson's research. The
mayor of my community is married to a sorority sister and he signed a
proclaimation for "Parkinson's Awareness Month" in April and he and a group
of my sorority sisters posed for a picture that was run in the local
newspaper.

Any of these kind of actions are  ways of educating others about
Parkinson's disease.  My" Pennies for Parkinson's "jar has been passed at
organization meetings, health fairs, support group meetings and labels for
jars have been given to interested persons who periodically give me
collected monies to forward to fund research. I joined Jerry Finch's
WebRing for PWP(people with parkinson's)and have written about my own
experience with Parkinson's and have e-mailed persons who responded to
reading that story.  Information and ideas from the PIEN list inspire and
challenge me to do more to spread the story about Parkinson's disease.

Jeanette Fuhr
49/47/44?