Just for fun, I called up all the Medline citations of papers by
R. Sandyk, the advocate of transcranial magnetic stimulation that
we've discussed lately. Beginning in 1980, there are 555! That's
an average of more than one every two weeks for the past 20 years.
They begin in German, then switch to English in the South African
Medical Journal, and most recently in the International Journal of
Neuroscience, concentrating on the various effects of magnetic
stimulation. Dr. Sandyk's latest address is Touro College, Bay
Shore, New York. While the numerous publications aren't in the
most prestigious neurology journals, they at least seem important
enough to the Medline catalogers. I see no indication that he is a
charlatan, only an enthusiast for an unpopular idea. There have
been other 'loner' ideas that found acceptance, for example Walter
Birkmayer and selegiline (Eldepryl) to act against oxidative stress.
While magnetism isn't quite 'mainline science' just yet, keep an open
mind. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694