P&B Fahr wrote:

> I believe your statement should be that there can be no
> "magnetic object" as opposed to "metal object".   Many
> metal objects are not magnetic such as aluminum, copper,
> silver, gold, and stainless steel.  I believe a metal
> object has to contain iron or an iron alloy to be
> magnetic.
>  the MRI scanner employs such a powerful field that the
> subject can't have any
> metal object on or in his body)

Without entering a discussion of physics of little interest to other
listmembers: In this case it's the shape rather than the material that
is important. When the magnetic field around any electrical conductor
changes, an electric current results (for example, the copper wire coils
in a generator). If any metal object in your body happens to be the
wrong shape, elongated or coiled, its current or internal heat might
conceivably injure surrounding tissue. I've had MRIs despite numerous
crowns and fillings in my teeth, without ill effect, but the MRI techs
generally are cautious about any other internal metal. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road