At 06:17 PM 10/30/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 10/30/99 12:54:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
>[log in to unmask] writes:
>
><<
>  > For the last 5 or 6 years I have finally learned to accept my PD
>  > and not go chasing half way around the world seeking cures.
>  > >>

>Marjorie,
>
>I think I understand where you are coming from.  Chasing from doctor to
>doctor is not a fun (or probably a wise) thing to do.  However, the thing
>takes no prisoners, it just progresses slowly, giving the illusion of a
>status quo (which might be accepted).  It accepts no bargains and is
>relentless.  Even after you give up almost all prideful things and accept a
>large degree of disability (with its large degree of discomfort), things get
>worse.
>
>I too went through the stages where I thought "I can hack this -if it just
>doesn't get any worse."  It always did.  So what's to accept?  This is not
>like Viet Nam.  We don't have a DEROS and go home at the end of our tour.  As
>things stand now, this is like the Alamo or the Little BigHorn.  Pass the
>ammo, please.
>

>WHH 56/38/37
>
>PS: Happy Birthday!

Thanks for the birthday wishes!!
Yes, I know its relentless!!! And I have the scars to prove it too!!
In 1996 over the Memorial Day Weekend my Sigmoid Colon ruptured,
to make a long story short, I spent the entire Summer in a Nursing Home,
and was off work from the library for 6 months.  Then spent 14.5 months
having debriding done, and right now I look as if I'm 5 months pregnant
with a 3" gash down the center, from stem to stern!!!!

I would have liked to had better treatment, so I wouldn't have to go
through plastic surgery next year when I retire.  I would have liked
for the Doctors, including the poor surgeon who had to operate on me
in the middle of the night, on his Memorial Day weekend, to have had
more training with Patients With Parkinson.  They didn't have a clue!!!!

I want a cure as well as the next PWP, but I also realize that my next
trip to the Nursing Home probably won't be just for the Summer. I'd
like to think I'll get better care next time, and that the Doctors and staff
will, thanks to MJF, at least know the word --Parkinson's!

I have already been to the Alamo, and I survived!!!!!!!
However, the Nursing Home had a back door!!!!

As Ever,
Marjorie Moorefield,
just another librarian with PD