     Hi all;

     A TOPICS feature is available in our LISTSERV software. This can be
     used as an aid in 'filtering' or 'managing' your mail from the list,
     or to assist those listmembers who wish to, to 'control the volume'
     of their mail from the list by setting specific TOPICS 'on' or 'off'.

     The use of a clear and specific Subject-Header is 'basic netiquette'
     for sending any E-mail message; it can become an essential courtesy
     on a large mailing list with high mail volume like ours. Adding a
     TOPIC to the Subject-Header is a useful enhancement to that courtesy.

     N.B. The TOPICS feature is not available to those subscriptions set
     to DIGEST [currently 1/3 of our membership].

     A. How Many Different TOPICS Are Available?

     1. The TOPICS below are a suggested beginning.
          a. changes or additions [to a maximum of 23] are up to you.
          b. this is your list and your mail.

          NONPD:     = not a parkinson's disease item
          NEWS:      = news items
          TECHNEWS:  = nerd news items
          LIST:      = list-business
          PMID:      = pubmed abstracts / medical studies
          QT:        = quotes / poems
          UDALL:     = pd political action [any country - named for Mo Udall]
          PARKINSAW: = creative tales about a fantasy pd land
          FUN:       = humour and silliness
          POL:       = political action / surveys

     B. How Can I Use TOPICS In My Next Message To The List?

     1. The TOPIC should be the first word in the Subject-Header:
          a. all UPPER-case
          c. followed by a colon
          d. followed by a space
          e. followed by a more detailed subject description
        viz:
          LIST: E-Mail 'Netiquette' / Subject-Headers / TOPICS

     2. LISTSERV does not have 'street-smarts'; it cannot understand any
        deviation from 'da rules'
        viz: use no spaces [NON PD:] and no hyphens [NON-PD:]

     2. Send all messages for distribution to the listmembers to:

             with any / all / no TOPICS in the Subject-Headers.

     D. How Can I Control the Volume Of My Mail From The List?

     1. To stop receiving NONPD messages, send this command:
          SET PARKINSN TOPICS -NONPD

     2. To stop receiving NONPD and FUN and PARKINSAW messages:
          SET PARKINSN TOPICS -NONPD -FUN -PARKINSAW

     3. To start receiving FUN messages again:
          SET PARKINSN TOPICS +FUN

     4. Send all command messages to LISTSERV at: