In a message dated 10/30/99 11:59:15 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<   Saving money presently
 spent on drugs, surgeries, care, disability payments to pwp who can no
 longer work and on sick leave days for ill pwp would seem to me a needed
 priority for an elected official to consider, especially when fiscal
 responsibility is a top concern.  It should also be a concern of tax payers
 who might rather see tax monies spent on health concerns at a level that
 might match other spending areas. >>

The comment re: sick leave days for ill PWP  was a reminder to me that all of
us should encourage our family members and friends to contribute "sick leave"
days at their employment source if this is possible.   The University where
my husband teaches/research provides the possibility for employees to donate
unused vacation time that might otherwise be "lost at the end of the year" or
disappear with retirement to a family crisis leave fund.

Our daughter, whose young son had liver transplants this summer, has six
months of paid family leave because fellow employees in the public safety
departments in the county where she works donated time for her to use.....her
husband also received 3 months of leave time.

This is another way in which we can help ourselves.....or encourage our
employers to adopt this policy so that others may benefit.  We don't realize
the great value of this benefit until we need it so desparately ourselves!

Rita 55/10