ERVIN J MCCARTHY wrote:
> I was started on regular Sinemet 25/100 about two months ago and when I
> worked up to full dosage I developed a heavy rash over my body.  When I
> called the doctor he said to quit the Sinemet. was it logical to stop for
> the three-week period being you indicated serious problems when stopping.?
> And is
> CR the right choice being it is the only drug that I am taking?

It worries me to see or hear about abruptly stopping Sinemet as you did.
Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) resulting from that may be very
rare, but it's a killer. I think though, it's even less likely if one
hasn't used a lot of the drug for a long time. Several drugs, including
a few used for PD, have been linked to NMS, but I was surprised that
good old Sinemet is one of them. It's right there in the Physicians'
Desk Reference (PDR) or, if you don't have that book, in the "package
insert" that your pharmacist should have. Keep in mind, the drug maker
is obliged to mention any such mishap, no matter how rare, and the risk
actually may be insignificant.
As to choosing Sinemet CR, individual response seems to vary. If it
does work, you get the benefit of longer intervals between doses.
BTW, my recent statement that "most" CR users can reduce dosage was a
slip; should read "some". Those slips seem to be getting more frequent
lately. Cheers,
Joe

--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694