(I just included an insert in our newsletter that has
the information you wanted.)

The following was adapted from a combination of recommendations
from the Parkinson list, the Wilamette-Columbia Parkinsonian Society guide
and an article by Beverly Steward.

 BE PREPARED FOR EMERGENCIES

If you're ever rushed to the emergency room, unconscious or unable to speak
clearly,
what would you like the medical team to know about you? Having Parkinson’s
rarely sends you to the hospital, but it does tend to complicate your care.

Your neurologist may not be at the hospital; the attending doctors and busy

nursing staff may not be knowledgeable or have had much experience with
people who have Parkinson’s. To help avoid a bad experience, plan ahead
and allow the doctors and nurses to make faster and more accurate medical
decisions by having all the information they need readily available.
If they are unfamiliar with Parkinson’s, there is also the possibility your

symptoms could be misinterpreted and you could be labeled an
“uncooperative” patient or you might get additional blankets for
a chill when you are really shaking from a tremor.
In order to avoid these possibilities, have a card in your wallet
that tells where someone can find comprehensive emergency-hospital
information.
Get a three ring binder and include additional data from the following
suggestions.

   * Photocopies of your prescriptions along with monographs of each
     medication.
   *  A page of business cards that include pertinent numbers (pharmacist,
     dentist, Parkinson resources, employer, etc.).
   * Copies of latest blood tests.
   * A running log sheet listing the date and reason for any medical
     related office or hospital visits.
   * A Living Will, if you have one, and consider having a close family
     member get a limited power of attorney to represent you.  If you do
     have a Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care, have copies to give
     the hospital and doctor.
   *  Have sufficient copies of the following information guide and give
     one to your admitting physician, one to the nurse on each shift (4),
     one to the attending surgeon if you’re having surgery and one to the
     anesthesiologist.

INFORMATION FOR MEDICAL CARE AND ASSESSMENT

My full name is ______________________________________
Address:____________________________________________
Phone: __________________
Insurance Info: __________________________________
 Phone: __________
Social Security No. ______________________
Date of Birth: _________________

DOCTORS

I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in ________. (year)
It is important to have a neurologist/doctor familiar with my condition.

Family doctor: ____________________  Phone: ________
Neurologist: _________________________  Phone: ________
Other:_____________________________  Phone: ________

EMERGENCY INFORMATION

Blood type: ___________
Allergies: ___________________________________________
Please contact:
Name:_________________________________
   Address: _________________________
   Phone:_________________________
Name:__________________________________
   Address _________________________
   Phone:_________________________
Name:__________________________________
   Address: _________________________
   Phone:_________________________

MEDICATIONS
I must be given my medication promptly at the times specified.  If this is
not possible, consult my admitting physician for authorization to
administer my own medication or alternatively, have it administered by my
caregiver.  The timing of my medication is very important to help my “off”
times.
Following are all prescription and over-the-counter drugs I currently take.

(chart)
 Medication
Strengeh                          Time Taken

Possible Side Effects: nausea, dizziness, mental changes,
confusion, hallucinations, involuntary movements, loss of appetite,
dryness of mouth, lowered blood pressure.

                      RED ALERT
If I am on Eldepryl, I MUST NOT BE GIVEN DEMEROL.

Eldepryl with Demerol can be deadly! To be safe,
Eldepryl should not be taken for a period prior to taking Demerol.
It is imperative that my attending physicians verify and stipulate this
interval.
A number of other drugs may be contraindicated with some I take, please
check it carefully.

ADDITIONAL CONCERNS/COMMENTS/CONDITIONS
                   for which I am being treated:

WHAT IS PARKINSON’S DISEASE?
Parkinson’s disease is a slowly progressive disorder due to the accelerated

loss of the brain chemical dopamine (a neuro-transmitter) that activates
the
message system controlling movement.  Its symptoms are tremors, rigidity,
slowed gait and balance impairment (which may resemble intoxication, but is
not).
These worsen and lessen several times a day in “on-off” cycles.
It is important that those who care for me outside of my home have a basic
understanding of the disease so that observations and impressions can be
accurately treated as characteristics of Parkinson’s and not as personal
behavior traits.
Please note that stress, anxiety, lack of exercise and/or the need for rest
may
worsen my condition.
Therefore, I HAVE CIRCLED PERTINENT INFORMATION
AND MY SPECIFIC SYMPTOMS
.
Name: _______________________  Room ______ Bed______

MEDICATION
 Administer Parkinson medication EXACTLY on schedule.
 Without medicine I may become rigid and disoriented.
 Response to medication may affect physical therapy timing.

AMBULATION
 Have difficulty with balance, stooped posture, swollen feet.
 Difficulty walking (a decrease in natural arm swing, short shuffling
steps, difficulty turning).
 May freeze and fall.  Require help getting started and walking.
 Dizziness.
 “On-off” symptoms (able to perform one minute, but not the next—
    which may be related to timing of medications.)

ELIMINATION
 Urinary problems (hesitancy, frequency, inability to wait, or
incontinence.)
 Suffer from constipation, need special diet or other treatment.  Impaction
is a significant danger.

COORDINATION
 Tremor, rigidity (cannot open food or other containers easily).
 Cannot always repeat a former action.
 May not have strength to push call button.
 Have slow responses.  Have trouble turning in bed.
 Dyskinesias (involuntary, unwanted, writhing movements) caused by
sensitivity & over-medication-not to get attention.

COMMUNICATION
 Speech problems: low voice volume, slurred indistinct words.
 Face shows little or no emotion ("mask of Parkinson’s").
 Depression and dementia from the disease.

EATING & SWALLOWING
 Difficulty swallowing.  Choke on food.  Very slow eater.
 Need special diet due to the effect protein has on my medication.
 Drooling.

SLEEPING
 Trouble getting to sleep.  Sleep fitfully.
 Have anxiety sweats.