The following is a message from Michael Claeys, Policy Coordinator for the
Parkinson’s Action Network.

Camilla Flintermann wrote:
“I heard today that the president will veto the bill that contains ‘our’
funding---because the Congress wanted to make cuts (in other areas) he
objects to.....so it's back to the drawing board?”

No, not at all.  The President is vetoing the Labor/HHS conference report
for matters unrelated to NIH or Parkinson’s research funding.

The conference report will go back to Congress, but not to start all over -
just to tinker with it until an agreement is reached with the President.
You never say never in politics, but if Members of Congress are hearing from
the Parkinson’s community it is very, very unlikely they will alter or omit
any of the Parkinson’s-related language.

The Labor/HHS conference report will eventually be signed into law, but when
and whether it will be as a free-standing bill, attached to some other bill,
or part of a large omnibus bill remains to be seen.  Of course, we will be
closely monitoring the developments and passing them along to the community.

This is a brief response to Camilla’s specific question. Please continue to
look for updates from the Network in the coming days and weeks.

Any questions or comments can be referred to the Network at (800) 850-4726
or [log in to unmask]

Sincerely,

Michael Claeys
Policy Coordinator