Hello Listmembers,

    It is with trepidation that I broach this subject for fear of it being pooh poohed.
That is not meant to reflect on the listmembers but rather on the subject that
almost invites that kind of reaction.
Thinking about the possible causes of PD (who does not at times?)
What studies have been done re: WHAT crosses  the blood-brain-barrier, that
could cause the shriveling of the dopamine producing cells?
TOXINS have been mentioned on the list.
When we think toxins, pesticides, herbicides etc, spring to mind first.
To digress a moment (please bear with me, it does come back to Parkinsons):
Attention Deficit Disorder, also called Hyperactivity, is a syndrome that has been
on the increase (as is YOP?). Our youngest son suffered a mild form of ADD,
which he has now 'outgrown' or 'masked', now that he has reached his mid teens.
The Human Nutrition Unit at the University of Sydney and The Royal Prince Alfred
Hospital's Allergy Unit, also in Sydney Australia, produced a booklet a few years ago,
based on 10 years of research('Friendly Food' by Dr. A.R. Swain, Dr. V.L. Soutter and
Dr. R.H.Loblay)
They had discovered that some people have a low tolerance of certain, often naturally
occurring, chemicals in food, called Salicilates, Amines and MSG (mono sodium
glutamate). The latter is sometimes added to food but occurs also naturally in
many foods e.g.yeast, tomatoes, broccoli, mushrooms.
Salicilates occur in many fruits and vegetables, coffee, tea, juices,(and aspirin).
Amines come from protein breakdown and ferments. Large amounts occur in
some meats, esp processed meats, cheese, ripe bananas, chocolate, avocado.
We also make tiny amounts of amines in our own bodies e.g. adrenaline.
Small amounts of these chemicals in every day food can build up to a level that
exceeds, especially in children, a personal threshold. The chemicals then
behave like a toxin and cause a reaction: Hyperactivity.  A number of various
salicilate, amine and MSG containing foods have been eaten, but the last one,
 the one that 'trips the balance' is often blamed.
Now to my thoughts on Parkinsons:
I have wondered if it is at all possible that
the apparent appearance of the salicilate/amine/msg, or the breakdown
products there-of, in the brain, (causing overactive behavior, i.e. excess
neuronal firing in ADD sufferers) could in OTHER people cause the gradual
breakdown of dopamine producing cells.
All this sounds perhaps very glib and very easy to shoot down by medicos.
Several children of my sons age group were put on drugs to control their
hyperactive/ADD behavior by doctors refusing to concede that foods
might be a cause of ADD. In our son it clearly was. With the help of
the Prince Alfred Hospital booklet and a not always cooperative son
(and who would blame him?) we tested it.
His threshold was often exceeded by pork, peanutbutter and especially
raisins and sultanas. The latter contain all three (Sal, Am and MSG).
The reason why these often showed up as the culprits is likely
because he ate a lot of them.(some food colorings were also a no-no)
After this 'sorry it's so loooong', story, here is the (to sum it up)

QUESTION: Could natural chemicals in some everyday food, (or the
 breakdown products thereof) react as toxins in the brain of some
people and cause a breakdown in dopamine producing cells?
Does the breakdown perhaps proceed more rapidly in those with a
lower threshold, hence different rates of 'progress'?
Too easy?
Or just too hard? (With ADD it took 10 years of study/testing)?
I'm only tossing up a ball. Anyone care to throw it back?
Food for thought?
Stay well and keep smiling, Love to you all from Erika.