hi all

At 11:14 1999/11/03 CST, bill wrote:
>Greetings.
>My father has been diagnosed with PD for some time, but had
>few serious problems until suffering a seizure this past week.
>Now, his sentemet has been increased significantly and he
>still is unable to walk or do other daily functions by himself,
>a serious decline in status. He is being recommended for nursing
>home care rather than a rehab facility in South Carolina.
>My question: do seizures (this one was 7 1/2 years after
>a stroke) have this effect of significantly activating PD?
>I realize this is not a medical list, but as a listowner myself,
>hope that I might get some helpful offerings from any who have
>had similar experiences.  TIA.   Bill

hi bill

this isn't a medical list, yes
but sad to say
there is a lot of ignorance about pd
out there even in the medical world

questions:
how old is your father?
how long has he had pd?
what type of doctor has he been seeing for his pd?
is this doctor involved in his 'post-seizure' care now?
what med regimen was he on 'pre-seizure'?
and how were his symptoms being managed with same?

i don't know the ins and outs of strokes and seizures
and their influence on more elderly parkies
and the ramifications of their meds
[i'm assuming your father may be over 70?]
but a couple of things you have said
are setting off alarms here:

"his sinemet has been increased significantly"
how much ? and by whom? and over what period of time?

"serious decline in status"
please detail this - specifics are important

"nursing home care" "rehab facility"
both institutional terms send shivers down my spine
if the parkie involved being admitted to such places
does not have a loud and assertive and knowledgeable advocate
[that job might have your name on it]
dealing with the management staff and their concepts of pd 'care'

pd is generally slow in progression
stress can heighten symptoms at the time
but the overall progress or degeneration
tends to move in itsy bitsy steps [like some of us]

imho
sudden declines are an urgent warning bell

i will bet dollars to donuts
from all that i have learned from this group over four years
any such decline is caused by:

1. incorrect med doseage
2. too fast med titration
3. med interactions

playing hard and fast with our brain chemistry
is no joke and potentially fatal

please let us know more about your father

janet

ps
and also
please read these:

-----start the tape---------------------------
two tales from our group have touched me deeply
and [i feel] are essential reading for anyone new [ish] to this pd game

joe's story is at:
<http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/pienet/joestory/index.html>

and

jim's story is at:
<http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/pienet/hithgang/hitjimf.html>

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset
613 256 8340 po box 171 almonte ontario canada K0A 1A0
a new voice: <http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Village/6263/>