hi all

i asked darwin if i could share the following with everyone
since MS Exchange seems to almost everywhere:
"Yeah, go ahead, and I didn't change anything yesterday
(that I know of or can remember, but alas, I turned 61
yesterday also and maybe lost a few more neurons)."

thanks darwin, and heppy be-lated burp-day!

janet

Hi all;

>>>And then Darwin wrote:
>>>Microsoft Exchange.
>>>No other lists.

>>And then I wrote:
>>i don't have MSExchange
>>but somewhere in its settings for
>>preferences or options or user set-up or configuration...
>>there is a setting for "Content-Type:"
>>make sure that "multipart/mixed" is not selected
>>and that
>>"text/plain" is the only option selected

>And then Darwin wrote:
>Cannot find any such thing as "text/plain" or "multipart/mixed"
>under any setting and I don't find "Content-Type".
>I am now receiving the digest in the form I was originally
>receiving it many moons ago (when I didn't have any problems).
>One e-mail with all the postings sequentially in the same
>document, rather than message attachments to a "cover letter".
>Fine with me.

That's good news!

The complete listing of 'cyberdeegook' headers [minus the routing information]
from your message this morning is:

>From: "Hawkins, Darwin" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'janet paterson'" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: Duplicates
>Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 08:28:39 -0600
and from your second message yesterday:

>From: "Hawkins, Darwin" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'janet paterson'" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: Duplicates
>Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 16:08:20 -0600
and from your first message yesterday:

>From: "Hawkins, Darwin" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'janet paterson'" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Duplicates
>Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 12:02:34 -0600
So, somewhere in between sending your first message and your second message to me yesterday, your e-mail software settings got changed from this:

to this:

which very likely has been behind the 'duplicates problem' all along.

MS Exchange may refer to "Content-Type:" in different terms; but this is a critical setting in instructing the mail server machines as to the formatting of your messages.

"Multipart/Mixed" refers to new-ish options available for sending messages in formats other than "Plain/Text", i.e. in HTML format for viewing as a WWWeb document, and in another image format [possibly GIF] for viewing as a graphics document.

Sending E-mail in formats other than "Plain/Text" is a badly conceived idea, in my humble opinion - doing so contradicts all the internet conventions and standards which established the universal accessibility of this miraculous medium in the first place.

"Multipart/Mixed E-mail" strikes me as an OxyMoron of the most Moronic type.

If Microsoft [my suspicion] conceived of this concept, well, all I can say is, "It figures."

The "boring" Plain/Text format [no fancy fonts, no fancy colours, no fancy graphics] of internet communication forms the backbone and structure of the net.

"All you get" are the words, but the words get to all.

Maybe that's what Marshall McLuhan [a former Professor of English at the University of Toronto!] meant when he said, "The medium is the message."

And now I say, "Mixing the medium is a mess."

janet
on a rant

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset