My server said to resend this post.

----------
From: Leo Fuhr <[log in to unmask]>
To: Parkinson's Information Exchange Network
Subject: Re: HELP - Telling Your Boss You Have PD
Date: Tuesday, November 02, 1999 2:47 PM

George,
        The dilemma of "to tell or not to tell" is an individual a decision as is
our individual symptoms and treatments for pd.  In my own case, I was
teaching one night class at a community college where I presently work and
had resigned from my parttime position as an assistant director of the
tutoring center on campus six(6) months prior to diagnosis in order to have
time "to smell the roses", do some things I wanted to do, and to have some
time for my elderly parents.  Since my work at the time of diagnosis was
not negatively affected other than I found I needed to bring a tall stool
to class so if fatigue set in, I could sit rather than stand to lecture, I
didn't tell the head of my department of my diagnosis.  When the dean
called me to see if I'd teach a spring term class for dual credit at a
nearby highschool that was going to be sent to network connected area
highschools, I only told him, "No thank you, I have other plans."
        Then, my former boss and I had lunch the summer following my diagnosis and
when she asked me how I was feeling and if I'd consider returning to the
tutoring center in the fall, I told her, "I am being treated for
Parkinson's disease.  Stress is something I need to avoid and I need a nap
in the afternoon."  My former boss smiled and said, "I see what you mean.
Unless you are in kindergarten, afternoon naps aren't an option."
        But she wanted me to consider returning part-time and I missed the
students so we have compromised.  I have returned to a reduced, less
responsible position as a tutor, not as assistant director. Benefits of
insurance and/or retirement/early disability were never a consideration as
my husband's insurance covers our family and only social security
retirement/disability are available for me.  I have found it easier that my
boss and most of my peers know that I have Parkinson's.  I don't have to
explain why I'm tired, why I have difficulty with balance or why my voice
is breathy or I have trouble getting a word/s out.
        If I'd had to "Keep a secret of my pd" I think the stress of concealing
the symptoms would have increased symptoms.  Your job is fulltime and you
may depend on it for your income, your insurance and for
disability/retirement coverage.  That may mean you will want to delay
telling of your diagnosis but won't it be better for you to tell of the dx
and the symptoms than to have others whispering and wondering if you are an
alcoholic or on "illegal drugs" due to pd symptoms that could be mistaken
as caused by something else?
        i'm sure others on the PIENetwork will offer their own stories and advice.
 This is a great place to ask questions.  Glad to have you with us.  You
will learn alot from others.

Jeanette Fuhr 49-age now/47-age diagnosed/44?age symptoms began
Visit my webring at <http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/auntie1/htm>to
hear where I was with pd in 1997.