George, my husband has worked for 25 years for E.I. DuPont - for 20 of those
years he has had PD.  He told his boss about his diagnosis when he realized
that he would have great difficulty traveling.  He did not put anything in
writing (but....that was before the ADA).  He was fortunate to work for a
company that believes in accomodating their impaired employees.  My husband
is going to retire from DuPont in January - a very greatful man for all that
his company has done for him.

>Are there any legal reasons or rights that one can gain by formally
>documenting that you have a problem?

Yes, there are legal reasons to document your problem, and you might even
consider c.c.ing a copy of that document to your lawyer.  Once your company
has been informed that you have a disability, they will be less inclined to
terminate your employment if such a document exists.  The ADA is clear that
people cannot be terminated if reasonable accomodations can be made in order
for them to function.  Not all companies are as understanding as DuPont - as
the people on this list can confirm.

>Would you advise formally documenting it in writing to the corporate
personal
>department

Absolutely.

or just orally to your boss?