George,
Your description of your situation sounds similar to mine.  Recognizing that
different nuances of the situation, certainly including the people with whom
you interact, can dramatically change a situation, it might be helpful if I
shared my experience.

I am 55 and a vice-president of a  small NYSE listed company.  I am a long
time employee.  I  was diagnosed with PD four years ago.  My relationship
with the company chairman and president are such that I really felt I had no
choice but to share my situation with them.  I did so in one-on-one
conversations.  I felt I owed it  to them to let them know and I felt they
would deal fairly with me.  The disease has progressed over these four
years.  As my abilities diminished they adjusted my responsibilities
accordingly and  the company has provided voice-recognition software, etc.
Earlier this year my condition had worsened enoughh that they formally
declared me disabled and put me on limited, part-time employment status.
Part of our benefits package is Long Term Disability insurance.  The company
supported my claim for benefits under that policy.  They also set me up with
a computer at home so I can work from there.  Consequently I am now
collecting LTD benefits  and doing limited work from home and/or in the
office as required.  They were able to keep me under the company medical and
dental plans as a part-time employee.  I have never  regretted fully
informing my employer of my situation with PD.

I certainly wish you the best in your decision.

Randall Taylor