In a message dated 11/3/99 12:47:43 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 My question: do seizures (this one was 7 1/2 years after a stroke)
 have this effect of significantly activating PD?

I do not know that seizures aggravate/activate PD.  However something in your
story makes me wonder if he was not hospitalized for several days following
this seizure.  Anytime a PWP goes rapidly down hill in the hospital; one
needs to check the PD meds schedule.  Sometimes admitting physicians and
other hospital staff out of ignorance and acting in what they thought the
best interest of the patient, might withhold his pills "to prevent
aspiration," etc.

If a PWP does not keep his/her medicine intake close to the dose he/she was
taking preictal (is that a word?), the result would be an unplanned semi
"drug holiday."  In '84, it took me 6 months to return to approximately the
functional level I had enjoyed before four days of abstaining from Sinemet.

If his meds work well for a short time followed by serious off time, I would
be even more suspicious of a lack of medicine explanation.  Ignorance of
these facts is rampant in the medical community.  Fortunately, Ignorance is
fixable.

Another possibility of course, is that his stroke extended or a new one
occurred.
Hope it was the medicine--that's reversible.

Best,
WHH 56/38/37