From: Jim Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: A partnership to cure Parkinson's disease
Date: Friday, November 05, 1999 7:28 AM

Absolutely incredible!  That's the only way I can describe the day long
meeting we had with a cross-section of directors of the National Institutes
of Health (NIH).  They were interested, attentive, innovative, sympathetic,
and above all, committed to helping cure Parkinson's NOW.  I believe we
have
embarked upon a partnership with NIH, and NINDS in particular, that will
cure Parkinson's.  That has always been our dream and words cannot
adequately describe the emotions I felt as I actually witnessed the pieces
of the foundation put in place. It appears to be a real solid foundation.

I was choked up all morning.  We have battled so long and so hard.  We have
accomplished what was thought to be impossible -passing the Morris K. Udall
bill, only to find out that  effort was insufficient to turn the money
spigot on.  And far too often, we found ourselves portrayed as adversaries
with NIH because of the ear marking issue.  I stated earlier this year that
it was time to be partners with NIH in curing this sinister disease. Never
did I dream we would ever attain the atmosphere of commitment and
cooperation that we saw on Wednesday.

At the request of Sen. Wellstone and his staff, Nina Rossomando and John
Gilman, a group of the advocate representatives met Tuesday evening.
Present were Jeff Martin, Perry Cohen, Michael Claeys, Larry Hoffheimer,
Carol Walton, Ken Aidekman, Mort Kondracke.  Sen. Wellstone noted that we
had unprecedented momentum in the House and Senate.  It was time to present
a unified agenda to NIH.  We were able to achieve that. Several items high
on our list were: continued and meaningful involvement of advocates in the
process; a plan that when implemented would achieve the goal (not an
earmark) of $75 million in funding in FY 2000, a five-year plan that would
continue to increase Parkinson's research funding as appropriate to achieve
the potential advances in treatment noted by Congress and acknowledged
recently by Dr. Fischbach, which include "solving" Parkinson's disease.

Joel Gerstel, Robin Elliot, and Joan Samuelson joined us the next morning
at
NIH.  From the outset it was apparent that  Dr. Fischbach, Director of
NINDS, who chaired the meeting, wanted a continued and meaningful
involvement of the advocates.  It was never a question of if, but rather
how
to optimize that involvement. In addition he wanted to see a cross
Institute
commitment to curing Parkinson's and towards that end he had invited Dr.
James Battey, Director, NIDCD; Dr. Patricia Grady, Director, NINR; Dr.
Richard Hodes, Director, NIA; Dr. Steven Hyman, Director, NIMH; Dr. Robert
Nussbaum, Director Laboratory of Genetic Disease Research Branch, NHGRI;
Dr.
Kenneth Olden, Director, NIEHS; Dr. Judith Vaitukaitis, Director, NCRR.
They each gave a presentation on their involvement with Parkinson's or
potential future involvement.

Then came another highlight the day.  Jeff Martin, a relatively new player
in the advocacy effort, summarized the position of the Parkinson's
advocates.  He was magnificent. He presented the points we had agreed on
the
previous evening.  Jeff is 40, diagnosed about three years ago, an attorney
in Washington, and vice president of Saks .  He is well informed,
articulate
and relatively low-key. He appears to be assuming a leadership role with
NIH
with the consent of all the advocacy groups.  Perhaps the time,
personalities and position of the moon with respect to Venus, are all such
that we can have a coordinated, cooperative effort with NIH.

Joan Samuelson and others noted on several occasions that what we are
asking
for was entirely consistent with what Congress requested.  Also, sufficient
funding had been provided by the Appropriations Committee to enable the
significant increases in Parkinson's disease research envisioned by the
Udall Bill.  A major portion of time was devoted to discussing the March
1st
2000 requirement by Congress for a five-year plan and necessary steering
committees, focus groups, and resources this would require its.  The
significant role to play by the 11 Udall centers was also discuss at
length.

Concluding the day was a very informative discussion regarding budgeting
and
the processing of grant application to NIH.  It is a complex and well
thought out process.  It is also a lengthy and rigorous process.  I got the
distinct impression that at least currently all Parkinson's related grant
applications, judged to have scientific merit by the peer review process,
are being funded.  We do not have a pool of high-quality research
proposals.
This makes programs such as the seed money program currently promoted by
the
Parkinson's Alliance not only timely but urgent.

 All in all, I'm just ecstatic.