Every few weeks someone posts a "do not put them/me in a nursing home" plea
or tale.  "I promised him/her I never would"......"I don't want to go"...." I
feel so guilty..."

If you want to keep the patient at home.....if you want your family to devote
24 hours a day to your care.......if you want your friends to take care of
you......that is great.  Please do provide the care at home.

However, "until you have walked in someone else's shoes"......please
remember....
and respect others for the decision to pay for a nursing home facility/staff.
 For some people, at home care with dementia is not a choice.  For some
people, physical responsibility of a loved one 24 hours a day is not a
choice.  Some nursing homes have wonderful facilities, wonderful staff and
wonderful patients.  Some nursing home patients are not visited by family
every day.......some patients have no family within 500 miles of the nursing
home.  Some families have more members requiring care than the person in the
nursing home.  Some patients in nursing homes would not want their family
members to take care of their physical needs. Some nursing homes CAN deal
with the schedule for Parkinson medications.

Nursing home patients do have the freedom to move, think, speak.....they are
warm, fed, clean and safe.  They are loved.

There are as many reasons and excuses for keeping a patient at home as there
are reasons and excuses for putting a person in a nursing home.  Please learn
to respect those choices.

Each of us will have to deal with the caring and/or dying of a loved one at
some time in our own lives........families change, needs change, environments
change and challenges change from day to day.

Please do not make the promise to any family member "never to put you there".
Please do not make family members promise  "to keep me at home".
Please do not criticize families who do chose to utilize nursing home care.
Please do not feel guilty if you are one who makes the decision to provide nh
care.

Respect and love yourself and your family...

Rita Weeks, 55/10