Rita, i did put my mother in a nursing home, since I live 250 miles away. she had
had multiple small strokes (TIAs) and  was difficult to handle at home - also
expensive. We had 24 hour home care but after a while you can no longer afford.it.
She was angry, then became used to it and actually enjoyed being there. She got
what she needed and I wish now that I had done it earlier. She has since died at
89 , well cared for.  It true that many people do not go see their loved ones in a
home, I drove or flew and then drove  a short distance there very often. I was
told by the staff that I got there more often than relatives who lived about 4
miles away. Shameful. If people in nursing homes see their loved ones often they
keep their orientation  Or regain it. We sometimes do the wrong thing by trying to
do the " right one"  Elders need to see their loved one anytime, at home or in a
NH.  Nita