Dear Listfriends,
Steve and I had a most excellent trip to the east coast. We
were in time to view the lovely fall foliage and thoroughly
enjoyed it. I also got to meet Capitol Chapter members, and
Hilary Blue and Michel Margosis treated me to a scenic tour
of the area. In Massachusetts George Lussier stuffed us with
lobster (my dream come true!) and Ivan Suzman gave me some
invaluable thoughts on PD and endocrinology which I hope to
follow up on with a colleague in the coming months.
Listmembers are the greatest!!

While in Atlanta at the American Dietetic Association
convention, I took the opportunity to discuss vitamin E
needs with a professor who specializes in vitamin E
research. He has studies to show that the natural form of
vitamin E is preferentially utilized by the body, and he
recommends its use over the synthetic form. I believe that
the natural vitamin E could be helpful to people with PD;
whether it can affect oxidative damage in the brain is not
known definitely, however I think it's likely that the
stress of PD creates a need for more antioxidants than can
be found in a normal day's diet. I suggest discussing this
with your physicians, and asking if it would be advisable to
use a vitamin E supplement.

I am told, but have not yet verified, that at least two
companies produce high-quality natural vitamin E
supplements:
Twin Labs
Nature's Way

I hope this information may be helpful.

I also took the opportunity to discuss PD with colleagues,
researchers, and food companies, whenever possible. I found
much more awareness and interest this year than last year,
which I find very hopeful. Additionally, the PD nutrition
manual which I wrote under grant for ADA was launched, and
this may bring greater interest among health professionals.

My thanks to all the wonderful listserv members who made our
vacation such a joy. We've just gotta get back to the east
coast!!!

I will be leaving here for Miami in a couple of days, so I
may have to leave the list again temporarily. But it's good
to be back!!
Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Medical nutrition therapy
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Parkinson's disease: assessing and managing unique
nutrition needs"
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/