It has been some time since I gave you an update of our conditions.  The
computer is no substitute for personal contact and perception may be in
error or misread from a screen. But, in terms of maintaining contact
over  vast distances, pulling a family and friends together and sharing,
this device is a wonderful thing.

The latest news on the Parkinson's Disease community is just great and
very exciting.  Word is that the NIH neurological section under Dr.
Fishbach will now focus its efforts on finding the cure for the disease,
and it has good support from Capitol Hill.  The efforts from the various
support groups working jointly under PAN with great new support from
movie stars like Michael J. Fox, are bearing fruits for the near future.

It is the intervening time for Barbara and those already afflicted that
worries me.  Barbara has had PD now for about ten years, or more
accurately has been diagnosed about ten years ago with the disease well
entrenched by then.  It is claimed that by the time a patient is
diagnosed, 80% of the Substantia Nigra cells, where dopamine is
synthesized, are dead or totally dormant.  Barbara can no longer walk
safely without support, at least a cane, but preferably a rolling type
walker.  Yet,  to tempt  the fates or because of the spontaneity of the
moment, she will inevitably venture out to the door or the kitchen or
whatever, without that support,...and she will fall from the propulsion
or retropulsion component of the disease.

Barbara was released from the hospital she hit the kitchen floor when
they detected no serious injury.  However, when Barbara complained of
frequent pains in the head, neck, and shoulder, our neurologist, Dr.
Linda Sigmund sent her for MRI test.  After viewing the results, the
doctor sent her for additional X-rays, and then to a neurosurgeon for
confirmation. There was indeed an injury caused by the falls: the Ray
clearly showed one of the vertebrae in the upper spine to be displaced
and probably fractured.  This injury is probably exacerbated by the
dyskinesia, the extra involuntary movements, caused by the multiplicity
of medication. Therefore, Barbara is scheduled to go to Fairfax hospital
this Tuesday morning for additional MRI, X-ray, and blood tests and
surgery in the late afternoon, if hospital conditions allow, meaning
availability of an operating room.  The proposed surgery as it stands
now is to fuse two vertebrae and pin them to a metal plate.

I am doing fine.  The day before meeting with the neurosurgeon, I
checked the operation of a second glucometer (the first was not giving
correct readings) after running from lab to lab collecting papers and
films for the said meeting.  I had become a casualty of Mr. Diabetics,
and my blood sugar that morning shot to 222.  My coronary bypass of last
was a complete success, according to my cardiologist, except for the
cellulitis that has plagued me since.  I have not played pickle-ball
since then, nor exercised enough, and drink only about one shot of
Scotch a week, at our social (previously named Happy) hour.  I am taking
and guiding a group of the Greenspring residents to the Holocaust
memorial museum in a month, and I already have my full complement for
the bus. I will not likely respond to phone calls, though I am doing
fine!
With love to you all,
Michel