ATTN: Eldon Green.  These are reprints of previous
postings.
-----Original Message-----
From: will johnston <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, September 16, 1999 9:57 AM
Subject: BRAIN DONATION-PD PEOPLE

Dear Listmembers and others with PD or similar brain
disease

Johns Hopkins University/Hospital needs PD brains for
research and study.
Johns Hopkins is a recipient of some of the Udall
funding, and that will be
paying the expense for brain retrieval.

The cost to the donor or heirs of the donor will be
ZERO. Some pre-planning
is needed.  The donor has the choice of donating the
entire body or brain
only. With the brain only, there is no visible damage to
the donor which
might interfere with an open casket funeral service.

Brain removal will be done at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore
at no expense to
the family if death is within two hours or so from
Baltimore.  When death
occurs more than two hours from Baltimore, Johns Hopkins
will arrange for
the removal at some medical facility in that area, all
at Johns Hopkins
expense.

I have agreed to make this donation myself, but hope
that actual donation
will take place in the near future. The decision to
donate body parts at
death must be pre-planned by the donor and family.

For more information and forms, contact me and I will
put you in contact
with the proper people  at Hopkins.

Will Johnnston
A.P.D.A. DelMarVA Chapter Pres.
4049 Oakland School Road
Salisbury MD 21804 USA 410-543-0110

========ALSO==========

I just called Lillian from the NPF/ University of Miami
Brain Bank and asked her about the expenses associated
with donating a brain for research.  She told me that
the only time the family of the person donating a brain
would incur expenses would be for illnesses, such as
Huntington's and others in which the brain bank does not
receive support from any organization.  In the case of
Parkinson's disease, the National Parkinson Foundation
pays for all of the costs for the donated brain.

Please call the NPF/UM Brain Bank at 1-800-862-7246 and
ask for an "Inquiry Packet".  As you all know, doing
research on brains with Parkinson's as well as "healthy"
brains (those not having PD) as a comparison brain, is
essential in finding a cure.

Sincerely,

Bonnie Cunningham
NPF