FRIENDS

There is timelessness to the ICU floor,
We all live in 4 hour blocks.
And when it's time to visit, we all hurry to see our person.
We all hurry in at the same time, but straggle out alone,
And drift down the halls until we reach our temporary home.
Everyone's person here is critical.
And we all understand the risks.
Us "old timers" help the "newbies" learn the ropes,
And how to adjust themselves to the ICU tides.
And we listen to the memories,
And watch for the tears,
And we pray for each other.
Asking God to heal our patient, to heal their patient,
And hoping for the strength to go on.
Minutes become hours, hours become days, and then weeks
And then months
Old faces move on, and new ones take their place
Doctors and nurses change shifts, or go on with their lives at home,
But your life is still here, and although you know it's not true,
You feel so alone.
And you are glad for your new friends, as they heal up and leave,
But in your heart you're kinda jealous, and you whisper,
"What about me?"
And the days pass, and the tides ebb and flow,
And you gain the dubious honor of having the longest surviving person left in ICU.
You wonder if you will ever leave.
The ups and downs come faster, hit harder
You and your patient are tied together with ropes and cables of love,
And you hurt so bad to see the pain, the fear
And you ask again and again, Why?
And silence answers.

Bob Armentrout
Copyright 1999