Hi all from Erika,
    We talk a lot about a cure------ but, as in all health issues,
 could prevention be an option worth looking at.
 i.e. "what" it is, that gets into the brain that
does the damage?

The response to my post was a deafening
(shocked, baffled, annoyed?) silence.
Does this mean:
a. the fact that particular ordinary every day foods contain
substances (amines, salicylates, msg) that in some people
have adverse reactions in the brain, is unknown?

or does it mean:
b. that having looked so long for experts' help (and indeed
been helped greatly by means of medication and surgery)
 we are no longer prepared to
 look at simple things  such as every day food?

or does it mean:
c.the post sounded too much like a "snake oil" or "wing of bat"
idea to be taken seriously i.e. this Aussie girl has gone "dotty"

or does it mean:
d. valuable e-mail space/time is being wasted?

or does it mean:
e. ????????

Please, please, I am quite serious about considering this option.
There are 1800? of us on this list. Surely there must be at
least one interested person, prepared to share their opinion.
(shoot the idea down if you like)

How 'bout shooting at a shot in the dark, Janet?

BTW Joe Bruman, it was your posting of 10 Sept, that sowed
 a little seed...
remember,
quote: "PD researchers think that the glutamate family of
neurotransmitters particularly N-Methyl D-Aspartate (NMDA)
is harmful to the neurons whose failure causes PD"

Hmmm <thinking> mono sodium glutamate???
For off-list response: [log in to unmask]

Original Message (edited):
<snip>What studies have been done re: WHAT crosses
the blood-brain-barrier, that could cause the shriveling of the
dopamine producing cells? <snip>

The Human Nutrition Unit at the University of Sydney and
The Royal Prince Alfred Hospital's Allergy Unit, also
 in Sydney Australia, produced a booklet a few years ago,
based on 10 years of research ('Friendly Food' by Dr. A.R. Swain,
Dr. V.L. Soutter and Dr. R.H.Loblay)
They had discovered that some people have a low tolerance
of certain, often naturally occurring, chemicals in food, called
Salicylates, Amines and MSG (mono sodium glutamate)
The latter is sometimes added to food but occurs also naturally
in many foods e.g.yeast, tomatoes, broccoli, mushrooms.
    Salicylates occur in many fruits and vegetables, coffee, tea,
juices,(and aspirin).
    Amines come from protein breakdown and ferments.
Large amounts occur in some meats, esp processed meats,
cheese, ripe bananas, chocolate, avocado.
We also make tiny amounts of amines in our own bodies
 e.g. adrenaline.
Small amounts of these chemicals in every day food can
build up to a level that exceeds, especially in children,
a personal threshold. The chemicals then
behave like a toxin and cause a reaction: Hyperactivity.
<snip>

I have wondered if it is at all possible that
the apparent appearance of the salicylate/amine/msg,
in the brain, (causing overactive behavior, i.e. excess
 neuronal firing in ADD sufferers) could
in OTHER people cause the gradual
breakdown of dopamine producing cells.

QUESTION: Could natural chemicals in some everyday food,
(or the breakdown products thereof) react as toxins in the brain
of susceptible people and cause a breakdown in dopamine
producing cells?   (End of org.message)

Sorry about the length, I am not very good (yet) at being
brief and clear.

Friendly greetings from "down-under"  Erika.