hi all

At 21:46 1999/11/14 -0500, greg wrote, in part:
>... but cannot see the relevance of religion and its impact
>on PD other than to give some sort of personal innerpeace...

i personally found the diagnosis of pd and my acceptance of same
a real "wake-up-and-smell-the-coffee call"
i started looking at my priorities pretty hard then
and am still making adjustments

i think that a diagnosis of any condition
which is chronic and incurable and degenerative
would affect most people in similar ways;
it's a profound and intimate and solitary
not to mention frightening event/trauma/realization
to have to come to grips with;
any or all of which qualities would probably
send most people scurrying to their 'creed' for comfort

>I try to avoid discussions on religion and politics because they
>are both no-win situations.  As proof I only need to refer to the
>much heated debate on the subject...

what is it about a heated debate
that make you feel it's a no-win situation?

someone here once described a "vigourous discussion"
as something like "aerobics for the mind"

>I only started to question the religion posts to prove a point to
>myself about the raw nerve religious debate touches in people...

not in everyone, surely? and not every debate?

>I also did it to try and provoke some emotion out of
>what I felt were some fairly bland discussions....

hey
wait a minute
have you not just contradicted yourself,
or gone full circle,or fulfilled your own prophecies
or am i missing something here?

1. religious discussions are no-win; the proof being
2. the heated debate which developed on the list
3. religious debates touch raw nerves in people
4. the religious discussions on the list were so bland
5. that you actively provoked emotions

janet

whose religious birth-right comprised
a protestant mother