hi all

At 19:01 1999/11/09 EST, linda wrote:
>The e-mail address is listed after Sender in the heading. Hit
>reply to get a fresh e-mail page. Then copy and paste or type
>the sender's address (not their name that may appear in
>parenthesis) into the Send To box and delete the Parkinson's
>Listserv address that appears there. (I also copy it into my
>address book if it is someone I'm going to correspond with on
>a regular basis.)...
>I'm glad to see you request this. I just joined and found the
>long list of personal dialogue quite annoying. I'm on several
>other listservs where personal responses are discouraged, to
>control volume. It really can get out of control...
>I also wish people realized that the Subject from the original
>posting keeps appearing automatically if you are hitting Reply.
>It only takes a few seconds to retype the subject so people know
>what it really is. Sorry to get on a soapbox, when I'm on the
>list less than a week.(The list is so long today, that I haven't
>gotten to the rest of the postings. I'll bet I'm one of many
>who answered your post.) Good luck.Linda

hi linda

i gather that your e-mail advice is AOL oriented?

it is useful to indicate which mail software is being described
since we all seem to use something different
[although AOLians are the largest single group here]

it's also good to remember that AOL's e-mail 'standards'
compared to the rest of the internet and the wwweb
are idio-syncratic to say the least

i'm sorry that you see some of the messages here as annoying

in our introductory welcome message, emphasis is placed on
the list volume as a potential concern [fore-warned is fore-armed]
and concern about no one should feel that their voice is being silenced

i personally feel that this is not the place
where we should try to exercise control over others
i don't like to feel that anyone is attempting to control me
and i'm sure you don't either

there are regular postings here with suggestions
on how to manage the volume of listmail

perhaps you might consider the DIGEST option on your subscription?
others [including AOLians] have been mighty impressed with it
[you get all the mail in one or two 'lumps' per day
rather than as individual messages]

tell us about your connection with parkinson's disease?
are you a PWP?

janet

janet paterson
52 now / 41 dx / 37 onset