Date sent:              Sun, 14 Nov 1999 11:33:20 -0500
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   janet paterson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Fw: IMPORTANT INFORMATION
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> 1. why do you spell G-d without an "o" ?  how did she come to lose it ?

Traditional Jews believe that to spell out His Name (even as "God") is
the equivalent of taking the Lord's Name in vain.  They abbreviate it as
G-d, L-rd, etc. in order to avoid writing it out fully.

The whole issue of the Name of God is interesting.  Some call Him
Allah, some Jehovah, others the Great Spirit, etc.  In the (Western)
Bible, His Name is expressed only by four letters (JHVH), the so-called
Tetragrammoton, and "Jehovah" has been used by some as the proper
"translation", but this is far from certain.  The only place in the
Western Bible (Old Testament) where He supposedly gives His Name
(to Moses) is where He said, "I am that am", and "...tell them that I Am
sent you".  The Scholastic (Roman Catholic) philosophers of the
Middle Ages stated of God, "His essence is existence", so one could
translate that as meaning, "God is pure Existence", in which case, we,
since we all exist, are part of God.  I choose to accept that concept.

Heavy stuff.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"