That's what I thought too Carole.
And it's good to know that I'm not alone Jeanette.

It all started one day...I knew something was amiss when I went to get a cup
from my kitchen cupboard and realized that they were all siting beside my
computer screen...each lined with vintage coffee stains.
And there's more...I  found myself only using books to prop up my computer
screen, occassionally refering to them as "Bio-Optically-Organized
Knowledge" devices  (hence, the acronym 'BOOK').

Shortly after that, while searching my computer files for
something-or-other, I found loads of sub-sub-sub-directories with titles
like "doo.what" and "didnt.dat".
With absolutely no recall of ever having created these directories,
I began to wonder if I was experiencing cyber-blackouts?

So I began to monitor my daily eating habits...I noticed the following:

When feeling hungry while working at the screen, I would reflexively type in
phrases like
'iamhungryandneedtoeatfoodrightnoworelse @ home.meat'
Whenever I was planning my grocery list,
I would first do a search at SUPPER.COM   .
One night, after unsuccessfully searching for  'take-out'  URLs,
I decided to cook dinner :
but took a bit of a break from my culinary concoctions
to check my email,
only to be quickly recalled to the kitchen by the strong smell of carbon
filling the air
... I reacted to the gooey black mess in my hot pots
by instinctively  reaching for the "refresh" button on my stove top.
To my dismay, there wasn't even a "back" button.
It was then that I knew  my  thinking  was  stinking.

Things went from bad to worse, Jeannette and Carole.
I found myself referring to viruses as 'electonic microorganisms :
I automatically blamed them for the lumps in my lumpy mashed potatoes.
After all those hard lumps, I ultimately asked one poignant question.
Had I ascribed religious significance to the icons on my computer screen?
The answer came with a resounding  ERROR message flashing across my mind's
eye....This was rock bottom.

 I needed help (although technically it is called 'support').
That's when I discovered Internetaholics Anonymous one day
while surfing aimlessly.
It struck me that   AI    (acronym for  'artificial intelligence')
spelled backwards is   IA  (acronym for 'Internetaholics Anonymous').

At first I tried to find an IA Group on-line.
But in the end, bit by byte,
I've come to see through the smoke arising from my modem and gently hovering
in front of my computer screen...
If I don't get conventional-linear-real-time-and-real-space help soon,
my retinas will turn into screen savers.

So I have made a decision...I am going to t-t-t-t-turn off my computer ...to
free up a phone line and dial for help.
I hear that Internetaholics Anonymous can offer a great recovery plan for
mis-filed data : This is the first step.

Now for Step 2.
...'Come to believe that a power greater than our service provider can
restore us to sanity'.
When in Step 2, take a deep breath and remember this moral from childhood :
"The phone company is omnipotent".

(I am going to need a sponsor to guide me through my recovery tho
...I hear that the third step has something to do with a fearless SEARCH of
personal software.)

If you can offer any insights (or websites), I'd appreciate them (and even
BOOKmark them).
I'll keep you posted..but only in moderation.

Joan U.
(taking it one window at a time)

On November 14, Carole wrote...