> > thanks for the info
> > it's interesting...
> > so where did all the vowels go?

MOst Hebrew is written without the vowel  sounds. Th e vowels are written as
dots underneath the consonants, and only very elementary books ( up to about
4th or 5th grade level) and Conservative Synagogue prayer books  are written
with "nekudot" - dots - ie vowels).
I have great difficulty in reading without the nekudot - never having learned
to do so, and that is why
1  i joined the conservative Synagogue
2. I consider myself illiterate in Hebrew tho i am totally fluent - i can
   barely read the newspaper headlines!

When Janet 'invented' that off-time shorthand , it made me think straight away
of Hebrew

Hilary Blue

    it seems like vowels were banned but consonants were not?