okay, i've just lost some of the best messages that i was going to save -
one in particular from one of our local SoCal folk (encino?  sherman oaks? -
Barb Mallut (msp?)  you wrote such a wonderful message, not only about the
use of cards at your support group meetings, but about PRO  and Jo Rosen -

PLEASE, IF ANYONE SAVED IT - PLEASE SEND IT TO ME PRIVATELY!

i also just wanted to agree that others will feel more comfortable around you
if you have a visual sign (cane, wheelchair, etc.) with you - especially
during those "off" times -

when daddy and i went to the San Antonio, TX airport, he to return to Tyler
and me to Los Angeles, he was, again, stressed, "off" and frozen.  could not
move -

but he had his cane, the airport's wheelchair and ME!  and everyone around
him could not have been kinder - they even moved him into first class!  too
bad it was only a 40 minute flight!

anyway, by the time he landed in Tyler, his meds had kicked in and he walked
off the plane - i'm sure to the flight attendant's amusement!  i kept telling
them "he knew he would, he knew he would!" - and he did. . .

you all discussed the use of some form of I.D. you use to notify those around
you of your PD - for those who don't have immediate access, i've copied one
sample that is brief, but thorough -

side 1
PARKINSON ALERT I.D. CARD
Hello, my name is ____________
and I have PARKINSON disease.
Parkinson's is a neurological dis-
ease which is neither fatal, pain-
ful, nor contagious.  Symptoms
may be shaking, rigidity, slow
gait and a low, slurred speaking
voice.  It can cause a gait and bal-
ance impairment which may re-
semble intoxication, but is not.
Judgement and vision remain un-
impaired.  These symptoms may
worsen several times a day in an
"On-Off" cycle.  I usually do not
need any special help, except with
tasks requiring physical coordina-
tion or strength.

Thank you in advance for your
help, understanding and patience.

side 2
(basically whatever contact info you want given out -
*  YOUR NAME, ADDRESS and TELENO.
*  YOUR DOCTOR'S NAME, ADDRESS and TELENO.
*  any other CONTACTS you want listed and their TELENOS.
(perhaps even your med/sched times - in case they feel you need to be
reminded!
*  "PLEASE REMIND ME TO TAKE MY MEDS @ __, __, __,

other cards or reminders i've typed and laminated:

INFO TYPED AND TAPED ONTO HurryCane
1.  Left    Right   Left    Right
2.  Right foot OVER the line
3.  Followed by left foot and cane at the same time
4.  Heel    Toe Heel    Toe

also:
Lengthen that stride and make it
SMOOTH  AND     LONG!

AND, because recently daddy lost his hurrycane and we've not yet replaced it
(!) - please put the old "if found, please return to" info on anything and
everything - including your timers, pill boxes (if necessary), canes, etc.

cari
daughter of joAnn (CG) and dempsey (70yr old, 16+) - Tyler, TX
me - 44, married in Los Angeles, CA w/ kind husband - brad!