Brenda,
        I also have problems with volume and being tongue tied and stumbling over
words and tripping over my tongue.  Actually, I have a lifetime history of
talking faster than my tongue can go......and I am REALLY tongue tied,
too(the piece that attaches my tongue to the floor of my mouth is attached
nearly all the way to the end of my tongue).  It is difficult for me to
keep a thermometer under my tongue or to move my tongue out of the way for
dental work or to lick an ice cream cone....I move the scoop, not my
tongue.

What works best for me to increase volume is to breathe deeply and push
from the diaphragm.  Any vocal music teachers who have a better
description?  If you place your hand on your diaphragm (lower abdomen) and
say PUH, PUH, PUH repeatedly your hand will move if you are using the
proper muscles.

To slow down and not trip over words, try enunciating (differs from
pronouncing) i.e. shape the lips and speak crisply and distinctly.  This
takes concentration and practice but should help if you are stammering.

When my husb tells me to "Slow down. what's your hurry?", I find putting up
a mental image of a stop sign or a road sign with S-L-O-W School Zone is
helpful when I need to mentally shift to a slower gear and get my lips and
tongue working in sync.  I am a public speaking teacher at a community
college and it will be interesting when I return to the classroom in
January after nearly two years to see if I can practice what I teach.

Jeanette Fuhr 49-age now/47-age diagnosed/44?age symptoms began